[ale] How Would I

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Aug 7 13:35:39 EDT 2000

Another option suggests itself - use the dos oriented command boot loader
(the name of which insists on escaping me at the moment 8-(). Depending on
the sophistication of the parents, and the level of distrust of linux, and
the size of the harddisk available, it might be the most convient approach
while giving the least sign of rebellion and disobediance (as a parent -
what AM I saying here?) As long as lilo doesn't show up on the screen, and
Windows boots first thing by default - most people (IMHO) are unlikely to
notice two files hiding on the disk to get to linux.

Of course, if parents are dead set against linux, and have some technical
computer skills (or are somewhat "snoopy"), the safest/smart thing to do
would be to dump linux until getting out of the house. Raising parents
rarely works...

In anyevent, I wish the youngster good speed in being able to rejoin linux
openly soon.

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Josh Freeman wrote:

> Another option is to set the machine to dual boot and set Windows as the
> default OS[sic]. You will still need to make the boot disk as described
> earlier, because installing Windows will probably blow away lilo, and
> you will need to reload it.
>
> Josh

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iocca