[ale] Peculiarities

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sun Aug 6 05:22:02 EDT 2000

Hello all,
        I've been experiencing a two recurrent problems with my Mandrake
7.1 install and then had another problem which just started today.

Major Recurrent Problem:
        If I switch back to X or from X (to a virtual terminal),
sometimes the screen will black out. The system still accepts input, but
will not display any output. Trying to switch to another VT does not help
at all. At that point, the only thing I could think to do is
Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get a safe shutdown, but I lose all of my work. This
is happeneing quite often and is quite annoying. I previously had RH5.2
on the system, which never did this. If it matters, the video card is an
SiS 6326 AGP with 8M Video RAM, but X will only use 4 because of
limitations to the chipset.

New Problem:
        I entered X as normal, ran kppp, gnome-terminal, and netscape. I
connect to the internet, start up a telnet session in the gnome-terminal,
and then try to browse with netscape. This is a very common setup for me
and I've never had problems with it. (I can normally open up gnapster and
several netscape windows with no problem) But, this time, the entire
system locked up. No mouse input, no keyboard input (Including
Ctrl+Alt+Delete) All I could think to do is hit the power button and be
glad I was using ReiserFS. When I rebooted and tried again, the same
thing happened. And then, again a third time. Any ideas what could cause
this or where I could look for more info?

Small Recurrent Problem:
        When I did the install of Mandrake 7.1 to a friend's computer,
Netscape worked correctly. On my computer, ever since I installed it,
Netscape has been grayscale. All of netscape's buttons and image
placeholders are in grayscale. It renders colors in the page correctly,
but all of the internal netscape stuff has no colors. I have tried
running it with just X and netscape (No windowmanager) to see if all
colors were allocated, but it still had no color. I can deal with this as
long as my new problem (above) is resolved, but it is kind of annoying.
Running Mozilla, the colors work right. (But the linux version of mozilla
seems a lot more unstable than the windows version)

I could not find an errata or other documentaion to help me with any of
these. If anybody knows of any that solve these problems or has a
solution of their own, please email.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get,
Michael Golden