[ale] KV, but not M...

Marc Torres marct at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 2 20:21:07 EDT 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Patrick wrote:
> Are you booting with the switch turned to each machine as it boots?  Most
> switches will not send ps2 or serial sigs to the machines unless there is a
> physical connection.

	If you have a 'hard' switchbox not a electronic one this is
	most likely your problem.  Even amongst the electronic ones
	you get what you pay for, be careful.

	Also if your switch has ports for both PS/2 and Serial mice
	it will normally only support 4 of one type or the other,
	you cannot mix-n-match amoung the servers.

	If I have to have them, I only use Rartians - never had a
	problem with them.  If you do have a 'hard' switch and no
	budget to buy a really good one Rartian sells a 'dongle'
	with KB and M leads that you can plug into the back of your
	server.  It provides the heartbeat to the ports so everything
	will work and you can hotplug KB and Mice into the dongle.

	The dongles arn't nearly as expensive and much cheaper then a
	hung server ;-)

	--marct
	marct at mindspring.com