[ale] 15 gb hdd problem

Prasanna Subash Psubash at manh.com
Wed Oct 20 10:32:24 EDT 1999

Hi all,
    I have a 15.2 Ultra-ATA-66  hdd. My lilo.conf has the hdd geometry
specifications. I installed windoze98 in the first 4 gb and started
installing Linux after that. Linux fdisk said that 567 to 1027 cylinders
where free. After partitioning and using the whole space for 2 partitions(
root and swap ), I found there was a lot of unused space behind these to
partitions behind the Linux partitions using win fdisk.  Apparently I was
only using 40% of the hdd for Linux. I had a remaining 27% unused.

Why is Linux not able to see all the available space ?

Prasanna Subash
Manhattan Associates, Inc
Phone: 770 955 5533 x 1047
psubash at manh.com