[ale] remote shutdown

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Oct 15 12:36:48 EDT 1999

jj at spiderentertainment.com wrote:

> I have a small machine at home RH6 that is doing ip_masq. And my sister
> in law wants to use the internet from her computer. She knows how to
> turn on the linux box but she does not know how to shut it down. I
> personally run the halt command which shutsdown and turns off the
> machine. I need a solution that will do just that, where she clicks on
> her desktop(Win98) and it rsh the halt command, any ideas ?

This may not be the best way, but it works for me.  I run samba on my
linux box, and share the /tmp drive to my daughter's window box.  I then
wrote a small perl script that touches a file called /tmp/.shutdown on
the shared /tmp.  I then had a cron job that was running under root that
looked for the /tmp/.shutdown file, if it exists, it would shutdown the
machine.  Not the most eligent, but it works.  You could do something
similar with netscape if you have apache running on your linux box.  You
wouldn't need samba then.

I don't do it anymore though, I just leave my box up 24x7 with a
reasonable UPS.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl