[ale] mouse problems with xfree86

sara yurman syurman at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 11 13:30:05 EDT 1999

I am having problems getting X going on a laptop that's running Debian.
The laptop is a ThinkPad 755CD, upgraded to a P75 with 16 MB of memory.
The mouse, a trackpoint, will not move at all in XF86Setup.  The
trackpoint should configure as a PS/2, as far as I understand.  I tried
using gpm but that didn't work either.  On the other hand, gpm detects
the mouse correctly.  Support for PS/2 is compiled in the kernel.

   modprobe --list | grep 'psaux'

   returns:  /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/psaux.o

The modconf menu shows the PS/2 module installed, too.

The XF86Config file has the protocol set to "PS/2", and the device set
to "/dev/mouse".  /dev/mouse is a link to ttyS0.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Sara
--