[ale] mounted fat partition causing kernel errors

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Oct 6 07:27:46 EDT 1999

This is a Linux question, just takes time to get to that part.

I've got a bit of an unusual set up, which appears to be creating some
problems.  I have a laptop for work that is dual boot Linux/NT.  I only
boot to NT when I have to do something like a voucher which requires an
MS OS.  That being said, I also have to use Outlook to read email,
because the corporate email service does not support real mail
protocols. Since I must be able to access my email when traveling (on my
laptop), I must have Outlook installed there.

Here's the setup.  My laptop is running Linux, and has a fat partition
mounted which contains my Outlook email file.  I then share this via
Samba to another win95 desktop machine.  This way, I don't have to
reboot my laptop to read email.  I've got this minimal win95
configuration just for that purpose.  Outlook is installed there and
uses the outlook email file on the Samba share.  This way, my email
stays in sync, and if I have to travel and read email, it's there.

Here's the prob.  I've been getting the following error which I've at
least tracked back to the fat module source code:

Oct  4 10:29:02 lhotse kernel: file_cluster badly computed!!! 2190 <>
2191

Now this doesn't look all together that good.  Anyone ever seen anything
like this?  Is this a consequence of my peculiar setup?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl