[ale] how to bump up max # of alternative groups

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Tue Oct 5 19:23:55 EDT 1999

If you don't care what happens, or you're a high-rollin' gambler who loves
the thrill of playing with fire (and especially if you enjoy following the
advice of those who know nothing of which they speak), you could try
changing the following line found in /usr/src/linux/include/asm/param.h:

#define NGROUPS         32

There is also the following line in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/limits.h:

#define NGROUPS_MAX       32    /* supplemental group IDs are available */

Besides the burning question of "What will happen if I do this?", there is
the question of what else might need recompiling besides the kernel
(applications, libraries, etc.).

Lots of luck :-)

Joe