[ale] No KDE or GNOME system sounds under RedHat 6.1

Mandrake mandrake at mandrake.net
Sat Nov 27 16:14:06 EST 1999

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 06:02:17AM +0000, Jim Seymour wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	I saw something about this in this group several weeks ago but cannot
> find it. I used sndconfig to set up my Acer AW35Pro (Crystal Semi
> 9236B/4237) soundcard under RedHat 6.1. I can hear the card initialize
> during boot and can play CD's and get sound under games however I
> cannot get system sounds. I have checked the  correct option for the
> sounds and have rebooted and still cannot get them to play. Not even
> able to test the sounds. Any of you Linux guru's have a guess as to
> what the prob is?

try using "esdctl off" and seeing if you can use sound then.
then "esdctl on" later when you're done with whatever you were doing.
side effect of the crappy sound control we have still these days.  until we do
something cooler on the kernel level (which san's half-working on these days)
then we won't get any better.

*shrug*

--
(\)       Mandrake (Geoff Harrison)        (/)   http://mandrake.net    (\)