[ale] ppp Chat script exec cmd?

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 27 14:35:54 EST 1999

As far as I know, there isn't a '--dont-go-dumb' flag on pppd or
anything like that.

I use the demand dial stuff on pppd at home.  In general, you'd have
to check to make sure that the kernel piece of pppd  matches the user
space portion of pppd.

Compare:
pppd -v
pppd version 2.3.7

To the kernel message that comes out when you boot or insert the
kernel module (from /var/log/messages)

Nov 22 12:04:16 cricket kernel: PPP: version 2.3.3 (demand dialling)

If they are way out of whack, you might want to get the kernel piece
out of the new ppp package and compile it into your kernel and see if
it helps.

Having said that, you'll notice that mine doesn't match but seems
to work just fine, although I have noticed it hang
before.... restarting it has always fixed the problem for me, though.

-Eric.