[ale] upcoming ALE meeting topics

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 27 13:53:40 EST 1999

I've just posted the schedule of presentations for the next 4
meetings on the web site.

If you have a suggestion for a meeting or would like to make a 'mini
presentation' to go along with the upcoming vendor presentations, send
email to ale-admin at ale.org!

Also, I'm looking for someone to 'proof' what I am going to say about
DSL & cable, since I don't have that service (yet!)

Thanks,
-Eric.

December 9, 1999

Topic: The Linux Router Project, Charles Shapiro

My LRP router consists of a '486 DX 66 motherboard with 16 megs of RAM
connected to a network card, a modem, and a 3.5" floppy drive. It runs
the Linux Router Project linux distribution Total out-of-pocket cost
was in the neighborhood of $60. You could buy it all from scratch for
about $150.  I'll be explaining my adventures.

January 13, 2000

Topic: Computer Telephony under Linux, Dialogic Corporation Gerry Gilmore

Assuming the world does not come to an end, we will have a
presentation from Dialogic Corporation, an Intel Company. Dialogic
manufactures a line of computer telephony components such as boards
and software. Dialogic recently announced support for Linux. This
presentation will discuss computer telephony under Linux.

February 10, 2000

Topic: Getting Connected to the Internet with Linux, Eric Z. Ayers

This presentation will be targeted to new users of Linux. It will
discuss how to connect your computer to the internet through a modem,
DSL or a cable modem.

 Using a Terminal Program
 Setting up PPP
 Setting up your ethernet card & routing for a simple DSL or Cable Modem setup
 Setting up the name server configuration Basic Security (including
  turning on the firewall rules)

The presentation will focus on the basic concepts and using the
graphical tools that come with KDE and Redhat Linux.

March 9, 2000

Topic: Ecrix,Elisabeth Reisch

Ecrix Corp. provides automated backup and restore technology that
uses individually addressed packets similar to that already proven in
the networking and Internet markets. VXA is the backup/restore
technology designed by Ecrix and instead of streaming data, VXA reads
and writes data in packet form and overscans the recorded area of the
tape. The tape-drive speed even matches the host data-transfer rate,
and the result is increased performance and reliability.