[ale] Windows provides my living... What's wrong with a Mac?

Steven Rice stevenrice at marnuke.penguinpowered.com
Thu Nov 25 02:39:09 EST 1999

Wandered Inn wrote:

> Steven Rice wrote:
> >
> > You're not the only one!!  There's a lot of us that love Linux and run
> > all our servers with it but use Windows to write papers, draw pictures,
> > and to play games on.  I don't mind if my picture or game machine
> > crashes but i don't want my server flopping over.  NT and Windows has it
> > own role and it's simply has better personal/desktop software for it.
>
> Hmm, I don't particularily care for my desktop machine to crash whether
> I'm reading email or playing a game.  You can certainly write papers on
> one of many packages for Linux.  Draw pictures?  I don't know, but for
> image manipulation, GIMP's pretty damn good.

Oh FOO!!  I was kidding!!

> > I'm wondering how many people are able to use Linux only?
>
> The only thing I use Windows for anymore is to read email from work
> (because they won't turn on POP or IMAP) and to do vouchers which
> requires some in house software that is windows based.  Both of these
> will change as the corporation is moving to support IMAP on their
> Exchange servers and developing a web based voucher program.

That has to bite...

> > > I am writing this in simple frustration. Linux rox and I have said that I would
> > > never return to Windows for the last two years. But in the final consideration
> > > I need to make a living. At the very least desktop publishing is 1/2 of my
> > > living. Linux simply is not the OS to use for desktop publishing.
>
> What tools do you use to do your desktop publishing?  Although I'll
> agree Linux probably isn't the environment for that, neither is NT.  For
> that purpose, a Mac is best suited.

Amen!  If i had to do desktop publishing I would look past windows and
go right for a G4.  I was watching a P3 and a G3 at compusa playing a
MPEG movie.  The P3 was dropping frames left and right, basicly looking
like crap where the mac look like a 'frigging movie.

I'm thinking about buying a PowerBook for my laptop, for scsi and
firewire, instead of a intel based system.  LinuxPPC boots on it but
it's said to run a little bit slower(~5% slower).