[ale] I love linux but ...Windows provides my living

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Nov 25 07:35:03 EST 1999

Steven Rice wrote:

> You're not the only one!!  There's a lot of us that love Linux and run
> all our servers with it but use Windows to write papers, draw pictures,
> and to play games on.  I don't mind if my picture or game machine
> crashes but i don't want my server flopping over.  NT and Windows has it
> own role and it's simply has better personal/desktop software for it.

Hmm, I don't particularily care for my desktop machine to crash whether
I'm reading email or playing a game.  You can certainly write papers on
one of many packages for Linux.  Draw pictures?  I don't know, but for
image manipulation, GIMP's pretty damn good.

> I'm wondering how many people are able to use Linux only?

The only thing I use Windows for anymore is to read email from work
(because they won't turn on POP or IMAP) and to do vouchers which
requires some in house software that is windows based.  Both of these
will change as the corporation is moving to support IMAP on their
Exchange servers and developing a web based voucher program.

> > I am writing this in simple frustration. Linux rox and I have said that I would
> > never return to Windows for the last two years. But in the final consideration
> > I need to make a living. At the very least desktop publishing is 1/2 of my
> > living. Linux simply is not the OS to use for desktop publishing.

What tools do you use to do your desktop publishing?  Although I'll
agree Linux probably isn't the environment for that, neither is NT.  For
that purpose, a Mac is best suited.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl