[ale] Gozilla?

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 25 08:06:16 EST 1999

smnoldelinux at mediaone.net writes:
 > Is there a program similar to Gozilla (on MS platforms) that will open
 > multiple threads to download large files?  This would be especially
 > helpfull when downloading iso's.
 >
 > - Scott

I certainly hope not.

Don't get me started on 'gozilla'  Gozilla may appear to be more
efficient as a client, but when you are running an FTP server, you see
that all it really does is make it harder for people without gozilla
to download files and bugs the crap out of system administrators.

I'm sure it has some useful features, but I have seen a gozilla client
hit my ftp site every 5 seconds for 5 days for a files that are not
there and will not be there.  Which doesn't sound so bad, unless you
consider that there was not just ONE person using gozilla, it was a
whole slew of them.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with gozilla clients?  The
latest version of wu-ftpd has a good sol'n for being bombarded like this.
I have blocked most people running gozilla clients from the ftp server
at work by using the 'deny-email' feature in  /etc/ftpaccess.

-Eric