[ale] [ale-admin] Newbie Needs Help

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Mon Nov 22 18:01:48 EST 1999

This is a wonderful list to get help, and to make the contacts to learn
even more. That said...

Question: How far along on getting ppp/internet connectivity going are
you? By hand (using minicom or another terminal program), can you control
the modem and at least make phone contact with another modem? Or are you
getting stuck getting the ppp link established with your isp (and then
what type of connection are you paying for?)? By way of background, also,
do you know where your log files are under Caldera so you can lookup the
results of trying to raise the link?

Welcome to the crowd.

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Rich Christensen wrote:

> Although an old Windows user, I'd like to start the transition to Linux.
> I've tried Red Hat with not much success. I thought I'd do better with
> Caldera 2.3.
>
> Install was great, and I've learned a lot so far, but I'm getting
> discouraged.
>
> My initial goal of getting internet connection to work has not been met. If
> I got internet access to work, I'd feel much better.
>
> Can I get some help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich Christensen

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot,
but don't let that fool you - he really is an idiot."
                            St. Groucho
Thompson Freeman                    tfreeman at vnet.net