[ale] samba conf

Luis Luna Luis at btr-architects.com
Mon Nov 22 17:23:03 EST 1999

Dear God,
I just want to have one folder on the second harddrive, share the folder, I
will be the only one that needs access to it, mount the folder from my NT
box, and thats it. I don't get "> where you "hang" a disk partition.  So,
when you set up a
> partition in fdisk
> or Disk Druid and give it a mount point like /var or /home, you have
> basically "hung" that partition to a place on the tree where the install
> procedure would have otherwise just created a directory in whatever
> partition you had set up as /.  This will become more intuitive over
time," I read and re-read the linux manual and man pages, I can't come up
with how to format a drive and have a folder on it that is shared. MKFS is
somewhat cryptic, at least to me. How do I list what is on a drive other
than /? I mean do I type cd /dev/hdc1/foldername? Is there a "linux for
dummies" book? I have one of the commercial linux books, one on redhat ver,
I still don't get it after reading the chapter over and over again. My God,
maybe using windows/nt/mac's for the past 9 years has knocked I.Q. points
from my brain. /end ramble/ .
So there I stand, here is my problem:
1. Share a hard-drive /dev/hdc1 which I installed after I ran the caldera
opnlinux 2.3 program.
2. I want one folder on this hard-drive. I will create subfolders from my NT
box when I connect to it.
3. I don't know what to put in my fstab file.
4. I have an NT box as domain controller.
5. NT boxes will be the only thing that connects to it.
6. My name is Luis - and I am a total newbie.
7. Seriously, any more pointers? I have 4 NT servers that are just file
servers, if I can get linux to samba the files, I will get rid of at least 2
servers, or is the learning curve so great that I am best off with NT?
Sincerely,

    Luis Carlos Luna, Associate AIA
         Work: 612.332.1234