[ale] samba conf

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Nov 19 22:38:07 EST 1999

> Luis Luna wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody have pointers on trying to setup samba on a ...

I can tell you that I've had Samba working a few months, successfully
sharing drives from NT to Linux, Linux to NT, Linux to 95 and 95 to
Linux.  A printer on my Linux box and one on my 95 box and any one of my
4 networked computers can print to either printer.  So, it does work and
it works well.

I can't offer much help, but I have a few questions.  What version
Samba?  I'm currently running 2.0.3.  I had problems getting versions
earlier than 2.* working for me.  I don't think it was samba, I think it
was the way I configured it.  The later versions of samba have a very
well documented config file.  Have you verified that you do actually
have an /etc/smbpasswd file?

Also, did you go through the debugging tutorial on the samba site?  This
helped me a lot.

What version of Windows is it [95|98]?  Do you have a login id on your
window box?  I don't know about 98, but 95 doesn't require you to have
an id and this might be a problem.  That's purely a guess.

Regarding the root issue.  I assume that you want to move your root to
the new drive?  Or possibly enable your machine to boot from two
different roots.  I've done both.  You can do this using lilo. What I
did was do a second install to my new drive.  This may not be the best
way, but it worked for me. You'll need to modify your /etc/fstab file to
reflect the actual mount device of this new drive.  You then will need
to then modify both versions of the lilo.conf file (for consistency) and
add the path to the new boot.  Once you get it to install, you can then
set your /etc/fstab to point to your previous /usr /var /home.

Probably more food for thought then real help, but maybe it will help a
bit.  Good luck.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl