[ale] upgrade

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Fri Nov 19 22:48:38 EST 1999

I'm somewhat in the same situation at work. I've a Dell PII-300 WinNT box
with a CD-ROM, and a 'generic' P-166 dual boot Win-95/Caldera OpenLinux 1.3
box (yeah, high time to upgrade it, which is why I'm posting). Anyway, since
I've now moved away from PC desktop spt to becoming a newbie UNIX admin
within the company, desktop tech spt (my former peers and still good pals!)
said I could 'keep' the 2nd 'illegal' box with Linux, given I'm also in
training, but they wanted the CDROM back, the dirty ratz! :-)  I've
NetManage Chameleon97 on the NT machine, which also supports NFS. I've
successfully set that up and test-mounted an OpenLinux 2.3 CD on the WinNT
box with the Caldera box, but, I've stopped short of attempting an upgrade
because if it failed, I supposed it could hose my painfully crafted LAN and
inet connections, Nutscrape email setup, XF86configs etc etc. (Yeah, could
back them up, but....). I tried using Caldera's boot disk, and I rawrited a
modules disk also from the 2.3 CDROM hoping there'd be spt for NFS install
on it too. And there seems to be, as the boot disk starts Caldera's
notoriously easy install routine, but then gets to showing the modules
the *&^%# modules disk. Suggestions? TIA.

And why does a 'budding' UNIX guru use NT at all? Cuz at our corp, the apps
we have under 95 fatal out too often for my tastes, so running that stuff
under NT has spared me a lot of the grief of others in our company. Funny
thing is, all I really much use it for is Groupwise Email and Chameleon's
xterms into the UNIX machines, and for our Perigrine Service Center problem
and pcr tracking.

And finally, for benefit of and encouragement to the students on this list:
I knew very little about Solaris and AIX (we use both) when I applied for
this position. But the fact that I'd been here for two yrs and built up a
rep as a reliable and competent contract desktop spt tech, and got to know
the corps apps reasonabley well, along with getting to know many of the corp
customers from my numerous PC troubleshooting visits with them, and, VERY
importantly, could TALK with people of various corp positions and technical
levels at THEIR levels -- coupled with the fact that I'd played on and off
with **Linux** for several yrs now! -- sold them on giving me a shot at an
open UNIX admin position. They figured I had the interest, staying power,
and could transfer the Linux skills over. (And I'm also a 40-something
'ex'-petroleum geologist, and this is major vocation switch #2 for me. Pay
is good, and the work has been *very* cool so far!) Not preaching, not
blowing my horn, I just want to stress the importance of people skills as
well as technical skills in a career. Technical stuff obviously changes
quickly. People, strangely enough, don't, and stranger still, tend to have
longer memories than computers! <G>

BTW, the current Caldera box, even with various incarnations of Xwin and
apps running, subjectively seems to keep up with the faster NT box (wow,
surprise...).

Oops. Sorry for the long post. I really started out just needing some
assist!
Frank