[ale] HOWTO->list tape contents after dump using restore ?

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at access1.net
Mon Nov 15 09:07:18 EST 1999

Thanks for your reply !

What I failed to convey is:

	I only want to "list on the console screen" the files that have been
dumped in /, and /usr, and /var; to see if they actually were dumped.

But......
	what I get, After Rewinding, the tape to the beginning is:

[1]
in the case of -> /:
	the files are listed satisfactorily by the command ->

		/sbin/rrestore -t -f user at machine:/dev/<whatever>

[2]
however, in the case of -> /usr

	if I give the command ->

/sbin/rrestore -t -f user at machine:/dev/<whatever> /dev/<usr>

all that is reported is -> "the dir name only", /dev/<usr>, but none of
the files therein.

[3]
The same is true of /dev/<var>.

Thanks for any clarification regarding this problem.

BTW, I am familiar with the mt position command(s), but I don't know
what is required [conceptually] to properly position the tape to list
the included files in the case of /usr and /var.

I am using nrst0 for no-rewind when dumping.

Cordially,

Courtney