[ale] Why eth0 delayed?

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at NIIT.com
Thu Nov 11 17:52:11 EST 1999

It turns out that on closer inspection PCMCIA services startup IS coming
AFTER eth0 initialization at boot time.  I suppose your suggestion is valid,
but is it normal for PCMCIA services to NOT detect an already-inserted card
when it starts?  If at all possible, I would like for the laptop to become
fully operational (networking included) with no additional human
intervention.

- Jeff

-----Original Message-----
 From: Mandrake [mailto:mandrake at mandrake.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 4:55 PM
To: Jeff Hubbs
Cc: ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] Why eth0 delayed?

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 04:44:30PM -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On this IBM ThinkPad i1512 at boot time, I see something like this go by:
>
> Starting eth0...
> Delaying starting eth0      [FAILED]
>
> After booting, I am able to start eth0 via usernet or ifup.  In
> control-panel, I have set up eth0 to activate at boot time.  How can I get
> eth0 to start properly when I boot?  Might it have something to do with
the
> sequence of events w.r.t. when PCMCIA services start?  If it turns out
that
> PCMCIA services are trying to start AFTER eth0, how can I change the
order?

I don't know about how oyu have your system set up, but I don't usually have
my ethernet card even IN when I boot the laptop.  I prefer my eth0 to
automatically be started by cardservices when I put the card in :)

--
(\)       Mandrake (Geoff Harrison)        (/)   http://mandrake.net    (\)
(|) Senior Software Engineer VA Linux Labs (|)    http://valinux.com    (|)