[ale] Available blocks

Steve Hamlin steve at hamlinX.com
Thu Nov 4 16:47:26 EST 1999

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Brian J. Dowd wrote:

> When installing RedHat Linux I set up /dev/hda1 as '/'.
> /dev/hda5,6,7,8 have lots of space on them but df indicates that my '/'
> is 98% filled up. Is there a way of alloting more blocks to it without a
> complete re-install? There were 1569797 1-k blocks but only 30955 are
> left. Should I be worried?

You should be worried.  If that is your only partition (i.e. /var, /tmp
and everything else is on there) you need to act fairly soon.  If that
hard drive fills up, you machine can go down (logging runs out of space
--> crash).

Is it necessary to gactually make hda1 larger?

If not, just

-format hda5 as ext2
-mount it under /mnt/hda5/
-'cp -ax /home/* /mnt/hda5'
-delete /home/*,
-umount hda5
-remount it under /home.
-edit /etc/fstab to mount hda5 under /home at boot time.

You can also do the same to /usr/local/, or anything else.

I think there is an ext2 resizer/grower.  Check freshmeat.net.

Steve