[ale] Available blocks

Zhongbin Yu " <z.yu at premcall.com> Zhongbin Yu " <z.yu at premcall.com>
Thu Nov 4 16:25:44 EST 1999

df only shows space information about partition, not directoires.

Let's say if you have /lib on /dev/hda1, and you do 'df -kv /lib',  it
will yield the same result as 'df -kv /'
do 'df -kv' and post results on the list and people may able to tell you
more.

if one partition is full, even if you have terabytes free on another, it
won't help, unless you remount your system in  a wiser way.

Also, if the system is 'unclean', the free block list, etc. may screwed up
and you need to do 'fsck' on the problematic partition after unmounted it.

$0.02.

 Jerry Yu
Systems Engineer	| zyu at tc.net
Premiere Technologies	| 404-262-8544(O)	1-800-979-1105 (P)
Atlanta, GA 30326	| ae.tc.net/dept/engineering/op/public/developer/zyu

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Brian J. Dowd wrote:

#When installing RedHat Linux I set up /dev/hda1 as '/'.
#/dev/hda5,6,7,8 have lots of space on them but df indicates that my '/'
#is 98% filled up. Is there a way of alloting more blocks to it without a
#complete re-install? There were 1569797 1-k blocks but only 30955 are
#left. Should I be worried?
#-Brian
#