[ale] OT: Perl Question

No One mainwizard at vei.net
Wed Nov 3 19:13:53 EST 1999

Have the transferee send a 'lock' file, i.e.. myfile.lock, prior to the
transfer and then delete it when the transfer is complete. If deletion is not
possible, have them send a 'myfile.done' file to signal completion. You can
then look for the presence or absence of this file to indicate when the ftp in
complete.

Ed.

"Robert L. Harris" wrote:

> We have some transfers being done via ftp.  At any rate, there's
> no easy way to get the status of if the transfer is done or not.  Can't
> just watch the size grow and when it stops get it due to network
> latency.
>
> Is there a form of stat() that will tell me if something has a file
> open for writing in perl?   I'm poking around perldoc, etc but
> nothing is just jumping out at me.
>
> Robert

> Robert L. Harris                |   "A person is smart;
> Senior System Engineer          |        People are dumb, panicky
>   R&D Consulting.               \_            dangerous animals"  - Agent K
>
> http://www.orci.com/~nomad
>
> DISCLAIMER:
>
> FYI:
>  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

       E-Mail Delivery By VEI Internet Mail Services
   http://www.veiinternet.com - $14.95 Unlimited Internet

       Visit The New VEI Stores Open For Christmas:
       VEI DVD Store - http://vei.vstoredvds.com/
       VEI Book Store - http://veibooks.vstorebooks.com/