[ale] SDSL Service

jemcdevitt at mindspring.com jemcdevitt at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 29 21:13:42 EDT 1999

I know this subject is being talked to death, but I've recently
discovered I can get SDSL (144k) connection to my home.  Not the
greatest, but beats the 24K dialup.

Anyway, the Flashcom folks indicate that I'll get 2 fixed IP addresses
with the service, but they don't install on Linux as single user
(SoloSurfer) mode.  They can install multi-user on Linux.   I was told
that if I was capable I could set it up myself.

Question:  Is there any special software that would be needed or is
this just standard network settings (DNS, Routing, Etc)?

I was told the DSL Modem would plug in to my home 5-port hub.  Any have
experience with that?

Just trying to get an idea of what I will encounter.  Basically I want
to set my Linux box up with IP Masquarading and allow the kid's Win
Comps to work through it.

Be grateful for any info.

JEM