[ale] IBM StinkPad

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Thu Jul 22 13:43:04 EDT 1999

Ok... Here's the situation...

Windows went away on a permanent vacation.

(uhhh... I can't think of anymore rhymes)

I have a thinkpad I have recently configured with SuSE 6.1.
Everything works like a champ...PCMCIA modem and network card work...
X configured nicely, KDE looks good... etc etc...

Now..I try to put it on the docking station... (port replicator actually)
and boot it and everyting looks normal. I can watch the OS boot on the large monitor hooked to the replicator.  When I run X, the large monitor loses signal completely. (It goes to sleep instantly) I can however at this point open the thinkpad, and manualy switch to the LCD and X is up and ready for me to go.

Ok..... I noticed that when X starts to load it says the monitor is 'LCD' even when I am in the replicator with the lid shut.

My solution to this problem without really knowing how to do so, is to create two 'startx' scripts.  One for the LCD, and one for the Monitor.

Now... What do I need to change in the original startx that would do this for me?

Or is there a better way of doing this?

-Patrick