[ale] BSD anyone?

Dave Brooks dbrooks at comstar.net
Thu Jul 22 13:41:37 EDT 1999

This sounds like a *BSD sales pitch, I realize this <G>:

I've used both, and trust me when I say that when it comes down to a
strictly server platform, it simply gets no better than BSD.

I personally am using OpenBSD 2.5 on my system at home.  While software
is a little less available, it still has a ports tree like FreeBSD (in
fact, it was borrowed from FreeBSD), its still just as easy to install
software (make install).  Networking under OpenBSD's (and NetBSD's)
ipfilter (instead of ipfw) is amazingly simple.  On my first install I
had basic firewall rules and IPNat running in less than 10 minutes after
the initial install, thanks to easy documentation on www.openbsd.org.

OpenBSD's support community tends to be a little abrasive however -- ask
a misinformed question or dont provide a detailed enough description of
a problem and you can probably expect to get condecended and openly
ridiculed by Theo De Raadt (I learned this from careful observation of
some of the openbsd newsgroups ;) for not knowing enough about the issue
at hand.  Check out some newsgroups and see for yourself.  Minor
shortcoming, however.

Beware, however, I'm not sure who else on the ALE list here knows
anything about OpenBSD, but I'm having a strange problem with the system
locking up after a few minutes of unchanging activity on the console.
Email me if you know anything -- no one on the OpenBSD front seems to
know anything about it (or care enough to answer my question...).

Happy BSD'ing!
Dave Brooks

--
David A. Brooks