[ale] miscellaneous questions

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:20:13 EDT 1999

* How do you make the PC speaker stop beeping?  Is there a /dev/????? from
which I can divert input?

* 'ls' question:  What possible causes might there be for the
/etc/DIR_COLORS to be partially ignored?  Colorized 'ls' is working for
directories and executables, but not for things that correspond to file
extension.  DIR_COLORS isn't being usurped by an environment variable
belonging to the user, because I can type 'set' and LS_COLORS doesn't come
up as a defined variable.

* I'm new to Red Hat.  When I installed new kernel source using an RPM, it
screwed up somehow.  I infer this from the fact that kernel compiles fail
now -- and for that matter, so does an ssh compile (!).  How would you go
about trying to fix what happened without messing up rpm's business?

                      __   _                 "If pro is opposite of con,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    then what is the opposite of
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   progress?  Congress!"
                     \__.-._)         '''     -- men's restroom, House of
		                              Representatives, Washington