[ale] Semi random lock ups

Robert Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 15 14:54:35 EDT 1999

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu wrote:

> Slow?  Only to start up.  My father still runs X on his 486-50 and it works
> pretty well.  You do need at least 8 Meg, preferably 16.  I ran it on a 486-33
> laptop with 16 Meg of RAM for several years.

And I actually started using Linux (and ran X) on a 386SX-16MHz
machine (no math coprocessor - you ran an awk script and could watch
it print out line by line).  I had to upgrade from 1Mb to 5Mb just to
run X.  But if your tried to run gcc (or even emacs) while X was
running ... swap city!

But the amazing thing was that as long as you weren't doing CPU intensive
tasks, X ran on it - the only headache was that windows were slow to open,
but once open they were quite responsive.

Now a real question:

Has anyone here installed Linux on a SPARC?  Any general comments on
robustness and stability (compared to a PC)?

--
Robert Butera, Assistant Professor
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0250