[ale] Semi random lock ups

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Thu Jul 15 14:07:09 EDT 1999

well..slower than on a PII 450 with 128meg   :)

>>> <hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu> 07/15/99 01:36PM >>>
> Remember, where linux runs outstanding on a 486, Xfree is a resource hog...
> If I were you I would try running xfree witha little "less" desktop than
>kde/gnome.  Maybe I cant even remember the default manage xfree comes with
>it's been so long ago.... But I do remember having x running on a 4/66 without
>locking up.  It was very slow...but it worked...

Slow?  Only to start up.  My father still runs X on his 486-50 and it works
pretty well.  You do need at least 8 Meg, preferably 16.  I ran it on a 486-33
laptop with 16 Meg of RAM for several years.

I agree that you want to use something like fvwm (version 1) and not
CDE/KDE/GNOME.

--Michael