[ale] Perl/Tk

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Jul 14 11:14:51 EDT 1999

>>>>> "sara" == sara yurman <syurman at spatialfocus.com> writes:

    sara> Dave, Where did Tk go?  Mine is in
    sara> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i586-linux.

    sara> Try something like this:

    sara> perl -e 'use lib
    sara> "/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i586-linux";use Tk;'

    sara> Dave Brooks wrote:
    >>  ale-
    >>
    >> I downloaded the Perl/Tk rpm and installed it.  However, upon
    >> running:
    >>
    >> % perl -e "use Tk"
    >>
    >> I get an error message saying that Tk.pm cannot be found in
    >> @INC.  I copied Tk.pm (from the rpm install) to a directory
    >> specified in @INC.  (I'm assuming @INC is some sort of variable
    >> (environment?) that contains directories to look for stuff, but
    >> I don't know where to look for this).  It stopped looking for
    >> Tk.pm, but then started complaining about something else, so
    >> I'm assuming there's no manual "quick fix" for this problem.
    >> Is there perhaps an updated RPM for Perl/Tk than the ones I
    >> installed (The ones I installed were distributed with 5.1, and
    >> since it was just installing Perl modules I didn't think it
    >> mattered)?

	A better solution would probably be to just download the Tk
module source and compile it yourself.  It shouldn't be more than just
doing:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

	The rpm you're trying to use probably was compiled on a
slightly different install than the perl you're using (e.g. your perl
may have things in i386-linux while the rpm is installing into
i686-linux).  If you compile it yourself you don't have to worry about
this.  Or you can just use CPAN.pm (perl -MCPAN -e shell) and let perl
do the work for you.

--
Fletch                |                                            __`'/|
fletch at phydeaux.org   |       "I drank what?" -- Socrates          \ o.O'