[ale] 2 video cards co-existing?n

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 12 19:17:08 EDT 1999

> So I thought I'd chirp in on this discussion for just a moment.
>
> I do have 3 video cards in my x86 machine.

I'm kinda curious as to what those cards are?

> Running multiple PCI video cards: odl versions of xfree86 won't support it
> correctly.  you have to run something out of CVS (which you can't get unless
> you're an xfree developer).

So what you are saying is that "it can be done but we can't do it unless we
become XFree86 developers"?

> AccelX's multihead stuff is pathetic - requires same card in both slots.
I am currently using this stuff and I'm got an AGP Number 9 Revolution 3D and a
PCI version of the same. Works ok but I can crash the server in my sleep. It
also doesn't support the SGRAM cards properly. Works ok with the WRAM ones
though. I have a separate machine that has two WRAM versions of those cards and
it works much better.

> metrox's mutlihead stuff is also less than adequate, wasn't impressed.
> besides, metrox (for those of you who don't know) is just an old version of
> xfree86 that has been hacked for more binary drivers.

Weird. I thought that Metro-X kept donating their technology to the XFree86
folks distro. I didn't realize it was the other way around :)

Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable   Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
Lightness has a call that's hard to hear  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/