[ale] 2 video cards co-existing?

Mandrake mandrake at mandrake.net
Mon Jul 12 18:39:08 EDT 1999

So I thought I'd chirp in on this discussion for just a moment.

I do have 3 video cards in my x86 machine.

Some important things to note when you're running multihead:
AGP card pretty much always loses for primary head (isn't that just
bass-ackwards?  It has to do with the bus 0 vs bus 1 stuff and the order in
which your cards are initialized).

Running multiple PCI video cards: odl versions of xfree86 won't support it
correctly.  you have to run something out of CVS (which you can't get unless
you're an xfree developer).  I can point out that there IS going to be true
multihead support in the next MAJOR revision (not the 3.4 stuff but the 3.9/4.0
stuff) that also supports a single logical display (the xinerama stuff I've
been blabbing about on my web site).

If you're going to try to run two heads using traditional xfree 3.3/3.4, you're
going to run into some problems because of the additional PCI initialization
stuff that xfree does at startup.  (you can have several running at once, but
they won't run concurrently on different displays)

AccelX's multihead stuff is pathetic - requires same card in both slots.
metrox's mutlihead stuff is also less than adequate, wasn't impressed.
besides, metrox (for those of you who don't know) is just an old version of
xfree86 that has been hacked for more binary drivers.

anyays, that's enough for now.
I hope I answered at least a few of your questions, if not (sorry)

| Mandrake (Geoff Harrison)                | http://mandrake.net          |
| Senior Software Engineer - VA Linux Labs | http://www.valinux.com       |
| Co-Author - Enlightenment Window Manager | http://www.enlightenment.org |
| linux.com - Advisory Board Member        | http://www.linux.com         |
"It was then at 3 AM - sitting at Dennys - that I realized that my friends and
I had turned out to be the very people my mother had tried so hard to keep
me sheltered from."