[ale] Mandrake 'bugs?'

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Jul 12 12:17:30 EDT 1999

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Gary Maltzen wrote:

> I'm unfamiliar with OpenBSD and am curious about a couple of points...
>
> 1) How is OpenBSD more 'graceful' in handling multiple cd-rom drives?
>    (I'll be the first to admit it took some digging to understand how
>     to use all 5 slots of my 5-disc Nakamichi CD-ROM drive and there
>     is some frustration in not being able to automatically switch
>     between discs)

I have two cd drives in my testbed system, a slow (8x) CD-R/W as secondary
master (hdc) and a fast (45x) CD-ROM as secondary slave (hdd).  Obviously, I
want to do my install off of hdd.  All the *BSDs, Debian and derivatives,
various other Linux distributions that I've tried, and Solaris all support
doing that.  They ask you which drive you'd like to install off of, and take
it from there.  RH and its copies don't do that.  You can (kinda) work
around it if you know what you're doing by telling the kernel to ignore hdc,
in which case RH will obviously install off of hdd, but my BIOS doesn't boot
off of secondary slave CD drives, so that's not ideal....

> 2) The 'dumb penguin' login screen is just /etc/issue

And should be optional, yes.

> 3) Is it even possible to include 'ssh' in a distribution, given the
>    various cryptography laws of different nations?

Yes it is.  It's even easier for Mandrake, given that they're in France....

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                               kaboom at gatech.edu