[ale] X-CD-Roast help

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Mon Jul 5 12:44:31 EDT 1999

Jonathan wrote:

> I am trying to use an IDE CD-ROM and CD-RW to burn cd's using
> X-CD-Roast.  Here is the message that I get when I start:
>
> "No generic-scsi-support has been detected.  Without it no scsi-device
> can be detected or used by x-cd-roast.  Please load the sb-module (eg
> "insmod sg") or recompile your kernel with generic support."

I recently dealt with the same problem. Build ATAPI CD-ROM support as a
module and make sure it doesn't get loaded. Then modprobe ide-scsi and you
should get a list of the detected drives. After that the drive will be
accessible as a SCSI drive, probably /dev/sr0 or something like that.

Make sure SCSI emulation (under block devices) and generic SCSI support
are enabled in the kernel. And make sure you keep a backup kernel around
in case the drivers mutiny, as they did for me once...

BTW I have a Philips 4x/16x/4x CD-RW (second IDE, master). It works well.

-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
Linux. Because I have better things to do than worry about Y2K.