[ale] MP3 Encoder for Linux

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Jul 3 18:46:54 EDT 1999

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 alexei at mindspring.net wrote:

> +--- In a previous state of mind,  Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis at mindspring.net> wr
> ote:
> |
> | > Well folks, I am looking for an MP3 encoder other then Bladeenc or l3enc.
> | > The reason is that I already have Bledeenc and don't like the sound
> | > quality, and I don't wish to deal with shareware.
>
> What bitrate are you sampling at? I use bladeenc @ 128kbps and it sounds
> pretty good. The space tradeoff works for me (I have 15GB+ of cd's I have
> encoded).

I am using 128k.  Blade does a very fine job from the basement up to about
16000 Hz (of audio, not sample rate), so it sounds beautiful on my living
room speakers (a bit aged.... they don't respond much above 16k) but
everything above 16k gets smashed to hell, and so it leaves this
irritating intermittent whistle on my computer room speakers.  I know it
is not my mpeg player, because I have some mpegs from other sources that
sound magnificent.  I also know it is not the source, because I have
compared the .wav that I encoded from to the resultant .mp3, and it is
clean of defects.

> | Yes, go to freshmeat.net and search for "mp3".

I'll try that.

> There was one I used for some time, but I cannot recall the name. It was much
> slower than bladeenc. I think it was from Freuhoff (sp?).

Fraunhoffer IIS.  It's shareware.  I can use it, but it costs too much to
register ($250).  I am ideally hoping for open source, but I realise that
may not be possible.

> Xing just released their latest for Linux. $20. I am toying with the idea of
> getting it, given the ammount of cd's I have left to encode (I want my entire
> library online).

I might try that one.  If you do get it, let me know how well it works.  I
might want you to code something and email it to me so I can hear it for
myself.

Setup, BTW, if anyone is interested:
	SB Vibra 16, set to line output
	Pioneer SX-2300 receiver (60W/ch at 8ohms, 80 at 6ohms)
	Advent mini's in the computer room (flat 110Hz-22kHz,120W,6ohms)
	Harmon Kardon HK-40's in the computer room (flat 30Hz-16KHz, 40W,
		8ohms)
	AMD K5Pr166 processor
	80MB RAM
	1.6GB IDE + 1.2GB SCSI