[ale] MP3 Encoder for Linux

alexei at mindspring.net alexei at mindspring.net
Sat Jul 3 13:53:40 EDT 1999

+--- In a previous state of mind,  Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis at mindspring.net> wr
ote:

| > Well folks, I am looking for an MP3 encoder other then Bladeenc or l3enc.
| > The reason is that I already have Bledeenc and don't like the sound
| > quality, and I don't wish to deal with shareware.

What bitrate are you sampling at? I use bladeenc @ 128kbps and it sounds
pretty good. The space tradeoff works for me (I have 15GB+ of cd's I have
encoded).

| > I know such a thing exists, because I have had it at one point in time and
| > can't remember the specifics.  I have been scrubbing the net for hours
| > trying to locate it.
|
| Yes, go to freshmeat.net and search for "mp3".

There was one I used for some time, but I cannot recall the name. It was much
slower than bladeenc. I think it was from Freuhoff (sp?).

Xing just released their latest for Linux. $20. I am toying with the idea of
getting it, given the ammount of cd's I have left to encode (I want my entire
library online).

Alex