[ale] RH6.0 X problem

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 3 00:41:46 EDT 1999

I have an NEC Ready 433D (i486DX/33, 40MB RAM, onboard C&T CT64300)
whose X server keeps crashing.  I've attached the XF86Config file and X
server output after a crash.  Once, the whole display, kbd, and mouse
froze (Ctl-Alt-F1 did nothing).  Crashes only come with mouse activity.
The machine has a PS/2 mouse port but I'm using a serial mouse.  I can't
do much of anything without eventually making X crash.

Also, X behavior under Gnome/Enlightenment is excruciatingly slow.  I
tried changing the window drag style from solid to line (once I could
get that far), but it hasn't helped.  Is Gnome/Enlightenment simply for
PII-level or higher machines?

Also, does RH6.0 actually have XF86Setup (the VGA GUI X configurer?)  I
can't find it on the box.

Thanks,
- Jeff