[ale] LOCAL: ALE July Meeting

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Thu Jul 1 09:19:23 EDT 1999

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - June meeting notice

              Join your fellow Linux enthusiasts for
                    our regular monthly meeting!

                        Thursday 01 July, 1999
                               7:00 PM
                  Georgia Tech College of Computing
                               Room 17

			     THIS MONTH:

    Wandering through the Chaos: A Survey of Linux Distributions,
			     Chris Farris

     RedHat, SuSE, Debian, Slackware, Stampede, Open Linux, Turbo
  Linux. So many choices so few computers. So which distribution to
			       choose?

 I recently came into possession of several of the Linux Distributions,
     from the folks at Linux Central. Developing a list of criteria
  addressing both the needs of new users, and the needs of experienced
 Linux Gurus, I've set out to evaluate these distributions. How easy is
     the install outine, how many packages are installed? How does
 their user administration tool work, what can it configure, can a guru
 go behind the tool and manually edit stuff, what will blow up if they
   do?  Basically my talk will go over the pluses and minuses of the
 different distributions, and (hopefully) give members of the audience
 some idea of which distribution would be right for them. In addition we
  will review some alternative distributions: BeOS and the BSD family.

           For more info on the group, visit the ALE web page:
                        http://www.ale.org/

       For Directions to the Georgia Tech College of Computing:
      http://www.cc.gatech.edu/external.affairs/directions.html