[ale] CDROM - where is it?

Steven A DuChene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Thu Jan 15 13:08:37 EST 1998

Quynh wrote:
> Yes, actually I realized late last night that I needed to recompile the
> kernel with ide/atapi enabled.  Novice that I am, I thought that if the
> setup had recognized it that the linux kernel was set to recognize it
> as well.  I was finally able to recompile and find where the new kernel
> was placed at around 3am.  But, when I reinstalled lilo with /sbin/lilo
> it said that the kernel was too large.  It was almost twice the size
> of my old kernel.  I'm going to try to recompile it, enabling fewer
> options and see if that helps, but if anyone knows why it's so much
> bigger when all I really wanted to enable ide and soundblaster ... please
> let me know.

Your original installed kernel was most likely pretty well modularized
so that is why it was so small. You can either do the module thing again
or use a "make bzImage" instead of "make zImage" since this creates a kernel
with a different type of compression (read more efficient & smaller) and
therefore allows lilo to load a "larger" size kernel.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.