[ale] Linux Distributions

Geoffrey Myers geof at abraxis.com
Tue Sep 30 21:03:34 EDT 1997

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > Well, whenever you start talking distributions, we all want to put in our
> > two cents. I was brought up on Slackware and migrated to Red Hat for most
> > of the reasons already mentioned. I do want to point out, rpm can be used
> > for Slackware if you really like BSD init (www.rpm.org), and I too have had
> > occasional problems with Red Hat install/upgrades.

> > About the relocation of config file that Mike mentioned above, although I
> > was a little lost at first, I much prefer this. IMHO config files belong in
> > /etc and libraries belong in lib. It always irked me when certain commercial
> > Un*xes would place binaries (i.e. ping) in /etc, thats what the (s)bin's are
> > for.
>
>         This is actually kind of humorous because "/sbin" is a relative
> newcomer on the block.  The use of /etc for administrative utilities
> (and /stand for standalone utilities) dates way WAY back.  They're just
> doing things the old "traditional" way.  Sun, I believe, originated the
> convention of "/var" for system variable directories so that / and /usr
> file systems could be mounted read-only.  I'm not exactly sure where in
> the evolutionary line "/sbin" and "/usr/sbin" appeared although I don't
> mourn the extinction of "/stand"...  :-)

Yep, I remember when shutdown was /etc/shutdown, SVR3...

I do have a question for you RedHat experienced users.  I've just upgraded to
RedHat and notice
that the kernel lands i n /boot.  Problem is, that when I build a new kernel,
it's put in /.  Is there a migration plan for this, or do I need to continue my
manual updating of my /boot kernel?

Also, I always liked the lilo configuration script I had in Slackware.  I've not
located one in RedHat and the version from my old Slackware points lilo to / for
the kernel as well.  Suggestions?

>         It would be entertaining to do an evolutionary tree of when certain
> conventions made there appearance and when certain others became extinct
> (for all practical purposes).
>
> > Later
> > Jay

> > E-Mail: Jay Munsterman<jmunster at mindspring.com>