[ale] ld.so

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 15 20:02:52 EDT 1997

On  8 Sep, Lisa Chiang wrote:
> I've tried your suggestion of using "rpm -ip file" and "rpm -qp file"
> but I keep getting errors.  Does RPM expect the file to be of the
> following format:  ftp://host/file.rpm ?

I think for install (rpm -i) the p is assumed.  rpm -i file.rpm (or rpm
-i ftp://host/path/to/file.rpm) is sufficient; I'm not sure that rpm
-ip is even valid.

For a query (rpm -q), the p is necessary to tell it to query a package
file and not the database of installed packages.  Syntax there is:

rpm -qp file.rpm (or -qip or -qilp or whatever) to get the information
from the actual rpm file

rpm -q file (without the .i386.rpm extention) to get the information
from the rpm database on your system.

Basically, here's how rpm works:

You have 10 or so major modes.  These are things like Build, Install,
Erase, Upgrade, etc.  These are denoted by the first letter after the
dash.  rpm -i is Install mode, rpm -b is Build, etc.

Within each mode, you can add on letters after the mode letter to set
options for that mode.  rpm -qp tells it to query a package, rpm -qf
tells it to query a file, etc.  These options are generally limited to
a specific mode....

later,
chris

                                                gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu