[ale] routing and firewalls question

Michael Ivey mivey at realminfo.com
Wed Nov 19 10:35:10 EST 1997

Ok, here's a stupid one for you...trying to set up a firewall.  All the
docs/HOW-TOs assume that you're a poor linux geek at home, and want to
masq your internal net using your one valid IP.  I got that part done.
But, I have a full class C.  I'm missing something simple and
fundamental about the routing part.

ISDN Line   ____
-----------|____|---------|   |-----------------------| |--------------|
                          |   |                  |----------|          |
           Router     ____|   |___               | etherhub |       My
Network
                      |Nic1   Nic2|              |----------|
                      |___________|

Add interfaces for eth0 and eth1.   Router is 192.168.2.1, eth0 is 2,
eth1 is 3.  From the firewall box I can ping outside, and from the
inside I can ping eth1, but not eth0 or the router...I haven't done any
specific route commands.  Do I need to?  How do I make the packets go
from eth1 to eth0?  Yes, IP_FORWARDING is compiled in.

I'm completely brain dead this morning, so I apologize if this is a
simple one.  Thanks in advance.

/michael
:wq

Michael Ivey                             <mivey at realminfo.com>
Senior Technical Manager        REALM Information Technologies
(770) 446-1332 x 114                  http://www.realminfo.com