[ale] Web Server

Eric Zundel Ayers eric at compgen.com
Fri Nov 7 14:45:16 EST 1997

Geoffrey Myers writes:

 > Netscape Fastrack  web server is available for Linux via Caldera.  I'm
 > currently using fastrack on an NT box and it is a nice package.

I'm using on my Linux box and it is O.K.

It is easy to configure, but I have a problem occasionally where it
seems to constantly  access the disk (with no Web activity going on.)  I
don't hear the disk head moving, but the disk light stays on, and
mysteriously, the problem disappears when I re-start the web server.

The other issues I have with Caldera are:

1) It bypasses all of the GUI redhat type GUI configuration stuff to go
with its text based 'LISA' utility because of various assumptions it makes.

2) There is a 'trick' to recompiling your kernel under Caldera that
is damn annoying (you have to create a strange looking file for it.)

BUT on the plus side, it was a pretty easy installation and the default
window manager setup seems better than the one under RedHat 4.2, and NO
PAM!

-Eric.