[ale] FTP through a firewall?

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 4 17:00:12 EST 1997

On  4 Nov , Robert L Harris wrote:
> Ok,
>    I've got my IP firewall/masq set up at home.  My firewall has a dedicated
> IP and the machines behind it are at 192.168.0.X for now.  Is it possible
> to ftp from behind the firewall or am I SOL?

Look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ipv4/ on your gateway machine.  You
need the ip_masq_ftp module for ftp from the machines on the 192.168
subnet to work; load it and any of the others you may want (the names
are self-explanatory) and you should be set.

Note that you have to start the ftp connection after the module is
loaded; if you start the connection, try to download, realize you need
the module and load it, the current connection still won't work.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu