[ale] FTP through a firewall?

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Tue Nov 4 16:52:44 EST 1997

This is what I figured, but I still can't find out where to enable ICMP forwarding
and I looked in the 2.1.62 kernel last night.  For some reason, it's just
not an option for me.

Robert

> I believe you also need to enable ICMP forwarding in your kernal. I'm able to
> FTP from my PC with IP firewall and masquerading setup on my other machine
> that's connected all the time. If you don't enable the ICMP forwarding, you'll
> be able to connect to an ftp server, but I think you'll get a message like Can't
> Open Data Port if you try to GET a file.
> Matt
>
> Robert L Harris wrote:
>
> > Ok,
> >    I've got my IP firewall/masq set up at home.  My firewall has a dedicated
> > IP and the machines behind it are at 192.168.0.X for now.  Is it possible
> > to ftp from behind the firewall or am I SOL?

Robert L. Harris          |    If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_     you don't understand the question.

Email:
Robert at ast.lmco.com
http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: