[ale] stiction?

Robert L. Harris robert at ast.lmco.com
Mon Dec 1 14:08:33 EST 1997

> Over the long weekend I turned off my machine; now one of
> the drives (a fairly new 5.1G Maxtor IDE) apparently won't
> spin up.  I'm guessing it's stiction, since it seems to
> otherwise have power and attempts to seek.
>
> Any advice on local shops to service this?  I would rather
> recover the data on the disk (I don't want to re-install
> Windows95 yet again).

In past experience, they're hard to get "repaired" reliably.
Believe it or not, if you can pull the disk, "spin" it 1/4 to
1/2 turns and try and get the platters to spin a bit it might
come up.  Then do a good back and get a new disk.

It's worth a shot to recover and I don't recomend getting
the disk fixed unless the technique for fixing them has improved
drastically in the last year.

Robert

Robert L. Harris          |   If NT is the answer,
System Engineer For Hire. \_    You don't understand the question

Voice:
  (303) 971-9218
Email:
  Robert at ast.lmco.com