Samba, was: Re: [ale] Setting a Windows machine to a Linux Printer

Geoffrey Myers geof at abraxis.com
Mon Dec 1 13:20:36 EST 1997

Jon Anthony Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Robert L Harris wrote:
>
> > Ok,
> >   My Linux box can now print to my printer haning off my other linux box.
> > Everything is working great, including the filter.  Now, how do I make
> > my local machine print to it when I'm in 95?  I can't tell winblowz to
> > find the network printer cause the print server's in Linux and 95 won't
> > recognize it.
> >

> Hi Robert,
>         Have you tried getting samba to work with your situation? It has
> been quite successful for me in a situation much like yours. A little bit
> of reading and a little bit or tweaking with the samba configuration file
> and you'll be a happy camper.

Speaking of Samba, I'm curious.  I'm putting a machine together for my
daughter, since she is 6 and plays many games, I plan to load Win95 there.
I don't want to  purchase another printer, so is it possible to network the
Win95 box to my Linux server and print from the various Win95 software
packages?  I've checked out the Samba web site, but not seen anything explicit
regarding this.  I understand I can have my Linux box function as the print
server, I just don't know if all these games and such that she uses will be
able to print.  Anyone done this?

Until later: Geoffrey           geof at abraxis.com