[ale] Setting a Windows machine to a Linux Printer

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 1 11:55:39 EST 1997

At 08:24 AM 12/1/97 -0700, you wrote:

>> On  1 Dec, Robert L Harris wrote:
>> > Ok,
>> >   My Linux box can now print to my printer haning off my other linux box.
>> > Everything is working great, including the filter.  Now, how do I make
>> > my local machine print to it when I'm in 95?  I can't tell winblowz to
>> > find the network printer cause the print server's in Linux and 95 won't
>> > recognize it.
>>
>> You've got two choices.  You can find unix print queue support for Win95
>> (OnNet from FTP software has one that works okay), which is
>> probably gonna cost you money, or you can set up samba on your linux box
>> to share your printer and then access it in the normal Windows
>> networking way.
>>
>> later,
>> chris
>>

>As much as I hate to put windows stuff on my linux box, sounds like samba
>might be the better way to go so I don't have to maintain the silly windows
>side.  Does samba come with RedHat4.2 or do I need to go get it?

There is one other option, and it takes a little less disk space.  You can
also install MARS (the Novell Emulator) on your system, and have it handle
the printer calls.  You just have to make sure that you have Novell Client
support enabled on your Windows machines.

For some reason, I have found Mars to be a little more robust that Samba,
but that could be machine and situation specific.  Either will work.

Best of luck.

Bob