[ale] Red Hat 4.0 seems to embrace Fvwm95?

R I Feigenblatt docdtv at ilinks.net
Mon Oct 28 16:43:37 EST 1996

Back on 25 Jun 1996, I wrote that:

"... is a nice free X Window manager which creates a GUI somewhat
like that of Windows 95. 'Fvwm95 is a hack based on fvwm2.x.'
It thus combines both native fvwm and Windows 95-like features.
I like it MUCH better than the fvwm from my current Linux CDROM.
...I started out with RedHat 3.0.3 ("Picasso") and added on Fvwm95..."

I can no longer access "The FVWM-95 home page"
URL=http://ltiwww.epfl.ch/~barth/fvwm95.html,
so I don't know quite what the status of FVWM95 is.

But it would appear that the functionality it
provides has been incorporated into RedHat's
just-released (ver. 4.0) "distribution" of Linux.

No mention of this is made is RedHat's official
Web press release at
URL=http://www.redhat.com/news/rhl4.0.html

but at
(URL=http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayArchives.pl?dt_iwe42-96_89.htm)
Linux cheerleader Nicholas Petreley writes in "Inforworld" that:

  "This version of Red Hat introduces a new version of FVWM,
  now called The Next Level. FVWM is a window manager that is
  configured to look and feel something like Windows 95, with
  cascading start menus, a task bar, and a pager that lets you
  switch among a set of virtual desktops..."

Has anyone bought RedHat 4.0 and tried it out?

Ron Feigenblatt

P.S. Does anyone know what happened to FVWM95 authors
H.Peraza <peraza at mitac11.uia.ac.be> and
D.Barth <barth at di.epfl.ch>? (No, I didn't try
e-mailing them yet.)