[ale] 100 base T

Alexei Rodriguez alexei at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 24 16:41:19 EDT 1996

--------
+--- In our lifetime,  matthew at nas.nasa.gov (Matthew Avery) wrote:

| Does anyone know what type of wiring is required for
| 100 base T network.  Also, does anyone have any recommendations
| for 100 base T ethernet cards or hubs?

Category 5 wiring is standard for 100bT networking. This  is 4 pair
wiring. You can check the FAQ for comp.dcom.cabling for info as
to how the jacks (rj45) are wired. This is the same as 10bT wiring.

As for cards, I prefer the DEC 21140 chipset cards. These include the
SMC EtherPower 10/100 pci cards. They are cheap and reliable.

Hubs are expensive. 12port 3com 100bT hubs are about $1700.

Hope this helps.

Alexei